Showing Collections: 31 - 49 of 49
This collection consists of papers collected by various members of the Peter families. It includes letters from George Washington, letters of condolence to Martha Washington after George Washington’s death, estate documents, Major George Peter’s military papers, land plats and surveys, photo albums, letterbooks, and notebooks that tell of the life of this prominent family in Virginia and the City of Washington.
This collection is comprised of three different types of documents: various accounts from individuals who have worked for the Potomac Navigation Company; lists of all the men employed by the company which details the amount of work that was done; and receipts and invoices.
This collection holds 34 volumes of notebooks kept by Elswyth Thane Beebe in preparation for two of her publications, "Mount Vernon is ours; the story of its preservation," 1966 and "Mount Vernon; the legacy" 1967. These notebooks contain the notes written by the author during her research on the history of Mount Vernon.
This collection contains approximately 300 rare printed maps, unique manuscript maps, and published texts collected by Richard H. Brown, which pertain to the American Revolutionary War era.
The majority of this collection is made up of research files compiled by Worth Bailey while researching at Mount Vernon and other historical sites. These files contain correspondence, news clippings, images, articles, and studies. Another substantial portion of the collection contains Bailey’s drawings, woodcuts, and several printing blocks.
The collection of Washington forgeries and bookplates from the 19th and 20th centuries measures 1 linear foot. Found within the collection are forged Washington documents from notorious forgers Robert Spring, Joseph Cosey, and Charles Weisberg, as well as unidentified forgeries. The collection also contains bookplates – originals, restrikes, and spurious copies – from the Washington family and correspondence related to the sale of forgeries.
- Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association 23
- Special Collections at the Fred W. Smith National Library for the Study of George Washington 23
- Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association 3
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 2
- Cartes de visite 1
- Correspondence 1
- Maps (documents) 1
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) 1
- French 1
- German 1
- Washington, John Augustine, III, 1821-1861 6
- Dodge, Harrison Howell, 1852-1937 5
- Washington, George, 1732-1799 5
- Washington, Jane Charlotte Blackburn, 1786-1855 5
- Lewis, Eleanor Parke Custis, 1779-1852 3
- Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union 3
- Wall, Charles Cecil, 1903-1995 3
- Washington, Bushrod, 1762-1829 3
- Alexander, Hannah Lee Washington, 1811-1881 2
- Cunningham, Ann Pamela, 1816-1875 2
- Lewis, Lawrence, 1767-1839 2
- Washington, Lawrence, 1854-1920 2
- Washington, Martha, 1731-1802 2
- Alexander, Judith Ball Blackburn, 1796-1866 1
- Alexander, William Fontaine, 1811-1862 1
- Bailey, Worth, 1908-1980 1
- Ball, Emma R., 1838-1918 1
- Blanding, Magdalen Gordon, 1823-1885 1
- Bolton, Frances Payne Bingham, 1885-1977 1
- Butler, Frances Parke, 1799-1875 1 ∧ less