Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 20
This collection includes correspondence between John Augustine Washington III and his mother and wife, as well as other family members, mostly dealing with family matters and running Mount Vernon.
This collection contains letters to and from George Washington that have been aquired by the MVLA since 1858. For more information, see content note for individal items. The collection grows organically as new items are acquired.
This collection of historic manuscripts dates from 1607-1933, with the bulk of materials dating from 1738-1868. The correspondence, journals and diaries, legal and financial records, estate documents, and printed ephemera in the collection primarily relate to the Washington and Custis families, the Revolutionary War, and society life in antebellum Washington D.C. and Virginia.
Portions of this collection have been digitized, as noted in the item-level descriptions.
The collection includes 185 titles spanning 200 years; all related to George Washington, his family, and Mount Vernon.
The collection contains correspondence between John Augustine Washington III and his wife Eleanor Love Selden. The letters begin during the Washingtons’ engagement and continues through eighteen years of marriage, ending with a letter from John Augustine to Eleanor composed the day prior to her sudden death. The letters contain information on family matters, the management of the Mount Vernon estate, and plantation life prior to the Civil War.
This collection (269 letters) includes correspondence regarding family matters, farm business, legal questions about various wills, including that of George Washington, buying and selling of slaves and land, letters from friends, travels, and business interests. Also included are financial papers, including accounts and bills for various services, many dealing with daily life, building materials, education expenses, books, taxes paid/owed, and financial transactions.
The bulk of this collection consists of letters to and from John Augustine Washington III related to the sale of Mount Vernon, as well as other documents related to John Augustine Washington III’s family and descendants.
This collection contains letters to and from Martha Washington that have been acquired by the MVLA since 1858. For more information, see content note for individual items. The collection grows organically as new items are acquired.
This collection consists of papers collected by various members of the Peter families. It includes letters from George Washington, letters of condolence to Martha Washington after George Washington’s death, estate documents, Major George Peter’s military papers, land plats and surveys, photo albums, letterbooks, and notebooks that tell of the life of this prominent family in Virginia and the City of Washington.
This collection is comprised of three different types of documents: various accounts from individuals who have worked for the Potomac Navigation Company; lists of all the men employed by the company which details the amount of work that was done; and receipts and invoices.
The collection of Washington forgeries and bookplates from the 19th and 20th centuries measures 1 linear foot. Found within the collection are forged Washington documents from notorious forgers Robert Spring, Joseph Cosey, and Charles Weisberg, as well as unidentified forgeries. The collection also contains bookplates – originals, restrikes, and spurious copies – from the Washington family and correspondence related to the sale of forgeries.
- Repository: Special Collections at the Fred W. Smith National Library for the Study of George Washington X
- Washington, John Augustine, 1821-1861 5
- Washington, Jane Charlotte Blackburn, 1786-1855 4
- Lewis, Eleanor Parke Custis, 1779-1852 3
- Washington, Bushrod, 1762-1829 3
- Washington, George, 1732-1799 3
- Alexander, Hannah Lee Washington, 1811-1881 2
- Lewis, Lawrence, 1767-1839 2
- Alexander, Judith Ball Blackburn, 1796-1866 1
- Alexander, William Fontaine, 1811-1862 1
- Butler, Frances Parke, 1799-1875 1
- Chew, Louisa Fontaine Washington, 1844-1927 1
- Cosey, Joseph, 1887-1950 1
- Costin, William, 1780?-1842 1
- Cunningham, Ann Pamela, 1816-1875 1
- Everett, Edward, 1794-1865 1
- Ford, West, approximately 1784-1863 1
- Gibson, Elizabeth Bordley, 1777-1863 1
- Hamilton, Elizabeth Schuyler, 1757-1854 1
- Kennon, Britannia Wellington Peter, 1815-1911 1
- Law, Elizabeth Parke Custis, 1776-1831 1 ∧ less