Showing Collections: 1 - 30 of 47
This collection includes correspondence between John Augustine Washington III and his mother and wife, as well as other family members, mostly dealing with family matters and running Mount Vernon.
This collection contains letters to and from George Washington that have been aquired by the MVLA since 1858. For more information, see content note for individal items. The collection grows organically as new items are acquired.
George Washington's Mount Vernon Magazine is published three times a year to disseminate information on the events and current news at the Mount Vernon estate. This publication replaces the previous version, "Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow", or YTT, which was published for the same purpose and audience. Articles include information on recent and upcoming events, restoration projects, interesting museum and library accessions, book reviews, fundraising opportunities, etc.
This is a collection of large ledgers or books with the signatures and autographs of Mount Vernon visitors and special guests. The books date from 1850 to the present day and some registers overlap in date.
This collection of historic manuscripts dates from 1607-1933, with the bulk of materials dating from 1738-1868. The correspondence, journals and diaries, legal and financial records, estate documents, and printed ephemera in the collection primarily relate to the Washington and Custis families, the Revolutionary War, and society life in antebellum Washington D.C. and Virginia.
Portions of this collection have been digitized, as noted in the item-level descriptions.
The collection includes 185 titles spanning 200 years; all related to George Washington, his family, and Mount Vernon.
The collection contains correspondence between John Augustine Washington III and his wife Eleanor Love Selden. The letters begin during the Washingtons’ engagement and continues through eighteen years of marriage, ending with a letter from John Augustine to Eleanor composed the day prior to her sudden death. The letters contain information on family matters, the management of the Mount Vernon estate, and plantation life prior to the Civil War.
This small collection contains records concerning land gifts, purchases, and easements obtained by the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Types of records include deeds, memorandums, signed agreements, land plats, maps, drawings, and correspondence. The material dates from 1858 to 2006, however there is some information on Washington family property that dates from the 1830s (the originals of these items were removed and replaced with photocopies in 2001).
This collection (269 letters) includes correspondence regarding family matters, farm business, legal questions about various wills, including that of George Washington, buying and selling of slaves and land, letters from friends, travels, and business interests. Also included are financial papers, including accounts and bills for various services, many dealing with daily life, building materials, education expenses, books, taxes paid/owed, and financial transactions.
The bulk of this collection consists of letters to and from John Augustine Washington III related to the sale of Mount Vernon, as well as other documents related to John Augustine Washington III’s family and descendants.
This collection contains letters to and from Martha Washington that have been acquired by the MVLA since 1858. For more information, see content note for individual items. The collection grows organically as new items are acquired.
- Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association 23
- Special Collections at the Fred W. Smith National Library for the Study of George Washington 21
- Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association 3
- Cartes de visite 1
- Maps (documents) 1
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) 1
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 1
- French 1
- German 1
- Washington, John Augustine, 1821-1861 5
- Dodge, Harrison Howell, 1852-1937 4
- Washington, George, 1732-1799 4
- Washington, Jane Charlotte Blackburn, 1786-1855 4
- Lewis, Eleanor Parke Custis, 1779-1852 3
- Washington, Bushrod, 1762-1829 3
- Alexander, Hannah Lee Washington, 1811-1881 2
- Cunningham, Ann Pamela, 1816-1875 2
- Lewis, Lawrence, 1767-1839 2
- Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union 2
- Wall, Charles Cecil, 1903-1995 2
- Alexander, Judith Ball Blackburn, 1796-1866 1
- Alexander, William Fontaine, 1811-1862 1
- Bailey, Worth, 1908-1980 1
- Ball, Emma R., 1838-1918 1
- Blanding, Magdalen McFaddin 1
- Bolton, Frances Payne Bingham, 1885-1977 1
- Butler, Frances Parke, 1799-1875 1
- Castellani, John A., 1944-1993 1
- Chace, Abby Wheaton Pearce 1 ∧ less