Abingdon Plantation former home of John Parke Custis, c. 1927-1930
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- Creation: c. 1927-1930
- From the Collection: Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
10 Photographic Prints
Language of Materials
From the Series: English
Ten black and white photographic prints of Abingdon Plantation prior to 1930. The house was deserted from in 1927 until its destruction by a fire on March 5, 1930. Views include the deserted main house from multiple angles, an adjacent building, corn crib and bridge entrance.