Group on east lawn at Mount Vernon, c. 1895-1904
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- Creation: c. 1895-1904
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Mounted black and white photograph of group posing near the east front of the Mansion, c. 1895-1904. A label adhered to the reverse of the mount denotes the photograph was taken by The Washington Souvenir Co., 1333 Penna., Ave., Washington, D. C. A handwritten note on the reverse by Francis R. and Elizabeth Ritchie Taylor reads: We were at Washington on the 15th, 16th and 17th of the fourth ms.__and this photo was taken on the 15th at Mount Vernon. Albert Votaw [famous Quaker] and his wife chaperoned our party. He is sitting the second row on extreme left. Also present but unidentified are Francis R. and Elizabeth Ritchie Taylor of Cheltenham, PA.
Cardboard mount: 13 in. x 9 1/2 in. (33.02cm x 24.13cm) ; Photographic print: 9 11/16 in. x 7 9/16 in. (24.60cm x 19.20cm)