Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia Signs the Guest Book at Mount Vernon, May 27, 1954
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- May 27, 1954
- Rowe, Abbie, 1905-1967 (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Black and white photographic print of Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia signing the guest book in the dining room at Mount Vernon. Standing behind the Emperor Selassie from left to right: Mount Vernon's Resident Superintendent Charles C. Wall, Regent of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Hope Powel Harkness, Congresswoman and Vice Regent for Ohio Frances Payne Bolton, and two members of the emperor's party. Photographer's stamp on the reverse reads: This print may be reproduced on condition that the following credit line be used: "Photo by Abbie Rowe--Courtesy of National Park Service".
10 in x 8 in (25.3 cm x 20.3 cm)
- Bolton, Frances Payne Bingham, 1885-1977
- Dining Room Subject Source: Local sources
- Employees Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Haile Selassie I, Emperor of Ethiopia, 1892-1975
- Harkness, Hope Hodgman Powel, 1889-1974
- Mansion Subject Source: Local sources
- Mansion Interiors Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union
- Photographic prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Wall, Charles Cecil, 1903-1995