Paul I, King of the Hellenes and Queen Frederika on the Piazza at Mount Vernon, October 29, 1953
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- October 29, 1953
- Rowe, Abbie, 1905-1967 (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
Black and white photographic print of Paul I, King of the Hellenes and Queen Fredericka (far right) on the piazza accompanied by Congresswoman and Vice Regent for Ohio Frances Payne Bolton and Regent of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Hope Powel Harkness (pointing).
10 in x 8 in (25.3 cm x 20.3 cm)
- Bolton, Frances Payne Bingham, 1885-1977
- Frederika, Queen, consort of Paul I, King of the Hellenes, 1917-1981
- Harkness, Hope Hodgman Powel, 1889-1974
- Mansion Subject Source: Local sources
- Mansion exterior Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union
- Paul I, King of the Hellenes, 1901-1964
- Photographic prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Piazza Subject Source: Local sources