Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru of the Dominion of India and Party at Washington's Tomb, October 12, 1949
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- October 12, 1949
- Rowe, Abbie, 1905-1967 (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
Black and white photographic print of Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru of the Dominion of India exiting Washington's tomb. Nearby are members of his party including his wife Kamala Nehru (white sari), Congresswoman and Vice Regent for Ohio Frances Payne Bolton, and Nehru's daughter Indira Nehru standing next to her father.
9 1/8 in x 7 in (23.4 cm x 17.8 cm)
- Bolton, Frances Payne Bingham, 1885-1977
- Gandhi, Indira, 1917-1984
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union
- Nehru, Jawaharlal, 1889-1964
- Nehru, Kamala, 1899-1936
- Photographic prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Washington, George, 1732-1799 -- Tomb Subject Source: Local sources
Part of the Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Repository
P.O. Box 3600
Mount Vernon VA 22121 United States