President Miguel Valdés of Mexico and Party on the East Lawn of Mount Vernon, May 1, 1947
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- May 1, 1947
- Rowe, Abbie, 1905-1967 (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
Black and white photographic print of President Miguel Valdés of Mexico and party on the east lawn of Mount Vernon with the Mansion in the background. Mount Vernon's Resident Director Charles C. Wall stands at far left, followed by President Valdés and General George C. Marshall points towards the Maryland shore.
7 1/16 in x 9 in (17.85 cm x 22.8 cm)
- Alemán, Miguel, 1905-1983
- East Lawn Subject Source: Local sources
- Employees Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mansion Subject Source: Local sources
- Mansion exterior Subject Source: Local sources
- Marshall, George C. (George Catlett), 1880-1959
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographic prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Piazza Subject Source: Local sources
- Wall, Charles Cecil, 1903-1995