Celebration of Washington's Birthday at Mount Vernon, February 22, 1943
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- February 22, 1943
- From the Collection: Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Black and white photographic print of Jimmy Wallington - announcer for the U. S. Treasury Department, Virginia Governor Colgate Darden, and Mount Vernon Resident Superintendent Charles C. Wall on the piazza at Mount Vernon. Wallington and Darden were present to celebrate Washington's birthday's and to give a broadcast on patriotic activities by school children in Virginia.
8 7/8 in x 6 7/8 in (22.5 cm x 17.5 cm)
- Darden, Colgate W. (Colgate Whitehead), 1897-1981
- Employees Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mansion Subject Source: Local sources
- Mansion exterior Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union
- Photographic prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Wall, Charles Cecil, 1903-1995
- Wallington, Jimmy
- Washington's Birthday Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings