Copy photograph of panoramic view of entrance to Mount Vernon estate, 1947
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- From the Collection: Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
3 Photographic Prints
Language of Materials
From the Sub-Series: English
Copy photograph of panoramic view of the entrance to Mount Vernon including the Texas Gate, tea room and rail station for the Washington, Alexandria and Mount Vernon Railway.
8 7/8 in. x 3 3/8 in. (22.6 cm x 8.65 cm)
- Mount Vernon (Va.) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Tea Room Subject Source: Local sources
- Texas Gate Subject Source: Local sources
- Washington, Alexandria and Mount Vernon Electric Railway Subject Source: Local sources