Anna Cora Mowatt Ritchie, Vice Regent for Virginia
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- Majority of material found in 1850-2010
- Thomas, Samuel A. (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
From the Sub-Series: English
Albumen print on cabinet card mount of oval head-and-shoulders profile portrait of Anna Cora Mowatt Ritchie [Mrs. William Foushee Ritchie], member of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association, Vice Regent for Virginia (1858-1866). The cardboard mount has gold embossed edges and the photographer's imprint on the front lower edge of the mount reads: S. A. Thomas, 717 6th Avenue [New York].
Cardboard mount: 4 1/4 in. x 6 1/2 in. (10.7 cm x 16.5 cm); Photographic print: 4 1/8 in. x 6 1/16 in. (10.45 cm x 15.3 cm)
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Cabinet photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Ritchie, Anna Cora Mowatt, 1819-1870