Lily Macalester Berghmans Laughton, Vice Regent for Pennsylvania, 1875
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- Dillon, Luke C., 1836-1904 (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Albumen print on cabinet card mount of three-quarter length portrait of Lily Lytle Macalester [later Mme. Alfred Berghmans; later Mrs. John Scott Laughton], member of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association, Vice Regent for Pennsylvania (1859-1891) and Regent (1874-1891). The photographer's imprint on the bottom front of the cardboard mount reads: Dillon, 1875. 1227 Penna. Ave. Washington, D. C.
Cardboard mount: 4 1/4 in. x 6 1/2 in. (10.7 cm x 16.5 cm); Photographic print: 4 1/16 in. x 5 3/4 in. (10.3 cm x 14.7 cm)
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Cabinet photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Laughton, Lily Macalester Berghmans, 1832-1891
- Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
Part of the Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Repository
P.O. Box 3600
Mount Vernon VA 22121 United States