Alice London Dickinson, Vice Regent for North Carolina
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- Majority of material found in 1850-2010
- Sarony, Napoleon, 1821-1896 (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 147 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
From the Sub-Series: English
Albumen print on cabinet card mount of oval head-and-shoulders portrait of Alice London Dickinson [Mrs. Platt Ketcham Dickinson], member of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association, Vice Regent for North Carolina (1858-1859). The cardboard mount has gold embossed edges and the photographer's signed last name 'Sarony' and the address '37 Union Sqr. N. Y.' are also embossed on the bottom lower portion of the mount. The photographer's on reverse of the mount reads: Sarony, Gold Medal Paris, 1878. 37 Union Square, New York. Negatives preserved, duplicates may be obtained at any time. Elevator from the street.
Cardboard mount: 4 1/4 in. x 6 1/2 in. (10.7 cm x 16.5 cm); Photographic print: 4 in. x 5 9/16 in. (10.0 cm x 14.15 cm)
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Cabinet photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Dickinson, Alice London, 1814-1881
- Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms