Lodge - Mt. Vernon., May 31, 1887
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- May 31, 1887
- From the Collection: Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Cabinet card of the west gate entrance to Mount Vernon. The view includes the porters' lodges at the far right and left of the photograph. A man poses in front of the gate and 2 adults and four children stand on and inside the fence near the left porters' lodge. A handwritten note on the reverse of the cardboard mount reads, 'Lodge - Mt. Vernon. 5-31-87 .'
Cardboard mount: 7 1/2 in. x 5 1/2 in. (19 cm x 13.9 cm); Photographic print: 6 1/2 in. x 4 7/16 in. (16.4 cm x 11.25 cm)
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Cabinet photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Mount Vernon (Va.) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Porters' Lodges Subject Source: Local sources
- Visitors Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- West Gate Subject Source: Local sources