Marble Mantel in New York Room., 1887-1890
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- Dillon, Luke C., 1836-1904 (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Cabinet card of the fireplace and Vaughan mantel [W-940] in the new room at Mount Vernon. Several vases and a piece of fan coral adorn the top of the mantel. The following text is printed on the reverse: Marble Mantel in New York Room. Copyrighted by Luke C. Dillon, Photographer to Mount Vernon, Office at Pullman's Gallery, 935 Penn. Avenue, Washington, D. C. A handwritten note the reverse reads: Received from Mrs. Cabot Vice Regent for Massachusetts, January 1953.
Cardboard mount: 6 1/2 in. x 4 1/4 in. (16.4 cm x 10.7 cm); Photographic print: 5 7/8 in. x 3 7/8 in. (15 cm x 9.95 cm)
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Cabinet photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Mansion Interiors Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va.) Subject Source: Naf
- New Room Subject Source: Local sources
- Cabot, Nancy Graves, 1889-1969 (Donor, Person)
Part of the Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Repository
P.O. Box 3600
Mount Vernon VA 22121 United States