Southwest View, Mount Vernon Mansion and Kitchen., 1886-1889
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- Dillon, Luke C., 1836-1904 (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Cabinet card of the Mansion from the south lawn. The includes the dairy, kitchen, south colonnade and the south porch on the Mansion. A man can be seen reading a newspaper on the steps to the kitchen. The following text is printed on the reverse of the cardboard mount: Southwest View, Mount Vernon Mansion and Kitchen. Copyrighted by Luke C. Dillon, Photographer to Mt. Vernon. Office at Pullman's Gallery, 935 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, D. C. A handwritten note on the reverse reads: 'Deposited by Mrs. Carpenter, 1934. Presented by Mrs. Cyrus Bentley, Chicago.'
Cardboard mount: 6 1/2 in. x 4 1/14 in.; Photograph:6 in. x 4 1/8 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Cabinet photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Colonnades Subject Source: Local sources
- Dairy Subject Source: Local sources
- Kitchen Subject Source: Local sources
- Mansion exterior Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va.) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographic prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus