Mount Vernon Mansion. West Front., 1895
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- Ingersoll, T. W. (Truman Ward), 1862-1922 (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Cabinet card of the west front of the Mansion from the edge of the bowling green. View includes the Mansion circle and marble sundial. Two handwritten notes on the reverse of the cardboard mount read, 'Mount Vernon 1895' and 'Contained in a book purchased in Philadelphia - 11/24/34  - see Accession - A-11.' The text 'Mount Vernon Mansion. West Front.' is printed on the reverse.
Cardboard mount: 7 in. x 5 in.; Photographic print: 6 9/16 in. x 4 1/2 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Cabinet photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Mansion Circle Subject Source: Local sources
- Mansion exterior Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va.) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographic prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus