West View of Mount Vernon Mansion., 1884-1888
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- Dillon, Luke C., 1836-1904 (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Cabinet card of the west front of the Mansion taken from the bowling green. A potted plant sits in the middle of the Mansion circle. Printed label on the reverse reads: West View of Mount Vernon Mansion. Copyrighted by Luke C. Dillon, Photographer to Mount Vernon, Office at Pullman's Photo Supply House, 935 Pa. Ave. Washington, D. C. A handwritten note on the reverse reads: Received from Mrs. Cabot, Vice Regent for Massachusetts, January 1953.
Cardboard mount: 6 1/2 in. x 4 1/4 in.; Photographic print: 5 7/8 in. x 3 7/8 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Cabinet photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Mansion Circle Subject Source: Local sources
- Mansion exterior Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va.) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographic prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus