King and Queen of the Belgians in the Upper Garden, October 29, 1919
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- October 29, 1919
- National Pictorial News (Photographer, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Black and white photographic print of the royal party in the upper garden. In the foreground, from left to right are: Mount Vernon Resident Superintendent Harrison H. Dodge; Queen Elisabeth, consort of Albert I; Vice President Thomas R. Marshall (back to camera); Albert I; and Miss Townsend, Vice Regent for New York. The photographer's stamp appears on the reverse. A handwritten caption (by Harrison Dodge) reads: 'Queen Elisabeth has asked the Supt. what that fine bush is (box [boxwood]) and might she have a sprig of it for a souvenir! The King, V. P. Marshall, and Miss Amy Townsend, witnesses.'
7 in. x 5 in.
- Albert I, King of the Belgians, 1875-1934
- Dodge, Harrison Howell, 1852-1937
- Elisabeth, Queen, consort of Albert I, King of the Belgians, 1876-1965
- Marshall, Thomas R. (Thomas Riley), 1854-1925
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Photomechanical prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Townsend, Amy Cornell
- Upper Garden Subject Source: Local sources
Part of the Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Repository
P.O. Box 3600
Mount Vernon VA 22121 United States