King and Queen of the Belgians in the Upper Garden, October 29, 1919
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- October 29, 1919
- National Pictorial News (Photographer, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Black and white photographic print of members of the royal party in the upper garden. In the foreground from left to right are: Vice President Thomas R. Marshall (back turned to camera); Queen Elisabeth, consort of Albert I; Mrs. Foster, Vice Regent for Delaware; Miss Townsend, Vice Regent for New York; and Albert I, King of the Belgians. The photographer's stamp appears on the reverse. A handwritten caption (by Harrison Dodge) reads: 'V. P. Marshall, Queen, Mrs. Foster (V.R. Del), Miss Townsend (V.R. N.Y.) and King Albert. Back & beyond the king appears Crown Prince Leopold (with "oversea" cap)'
6 3/4 in. x 4 7/8 in.
- Albert I, King of the Belgians, 1875-1934
- Elisabeth, Queen, consort of Albert I, King of the Belgians, 1876-1965
- Foster, Victorine Du Pont, 1849-1934
- Marshall, Thomas R. (Thomas Riley), 1854-1925
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographic prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Townsend, Amy Cornell
- Upper Garden Subject Source: Local sources