Robert Fisher and Harold Fredericks in the Upper Garden, 1956
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
2 Photographic Prints
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
Grounds foreman Harold J. Fredericks (left) stands next to horticulturist Robert B. Fisher (right) examining the boxwood parterre in front of the greenhouse in the upper garden at Mount Vernon. Photograph taken for an 1956 article in the Providence Sunday Journal.
10 in. x 8 in.