Tomb of Washington, Mt. Vernon., 1880
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- Creation: 1880
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Stereoscopic view of the path to Washington's tomb. Two visitors stand next to the tomb's entrance. A third person can be seen at the far right. Mounted on orange board. The front of the stereograph has the photographer's imprint, N. G. Johnson Photographer, No. 317 Pa. Avenue, Washington, D. C. Only Authorized Publisher of Mt. Vernon Views. A preprinted label affixed on the reverse reads, Tomb of Washington, Mt. Vernon, The ante room to the Vault is about 12 feet square, and here are seen the Sarcophagi; the one on the right containing the remains of George Washington, and that on the left, those of Martha, his wife. It was built in accordance with the directions contained in Washington's will, to which his remains were removed in 1831. Copyright by the Mt. Vernon Association, 1880. A penciled note on the reverse reads, 'Possibly belonging to Mrs. Broadwell.'
6 15/16 in. x 3 7/16 in.