Gardener's House at Mt. Vernon, 1878-1883
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Stereograph of the gardener's house at Mount Vernon. The view includes four individuals posed in front of the structure, a man leaning against the hitching post and several other people in the distance along the north lane. Adjacent to building appears to be a dog house and a sign that reads 'Canes for Sale.' Mounted on orange board. The publisher's imprint on the front of the stereograph mount reads: N. G. Johnson, Photographer, 426 7th Street, Washington, D. C. Only Authorized Publisher of Mount Vernon Views. The label adhered on the reverse reads: Gardener's House at Mt. Vernon, and two other small houses used for domestic purposes during Washington's time. N. G. Johnson, Photographer, 426 7th St., Washington, D. C.
6 15/16 in. x 3 7/16 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Gardener's house Subject Source: Local sources
- Mansion Circle Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- North Lane Subject Source: Local sources
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Stereographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms