Untitled [Butler's House], 1866-1878
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- Creation: 1866-1878
- Gardner, Alexander, 1821-1882 (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Stereoscopic view of the circle storehouse formerly called the 'Butler's House.' Two men are nearby on the Mansion circle - one is seated on a stump and the other is leaning against a hitching post. While missing Alexander Gardner's usual printed listed on the reverse, when compared to other stereographs in the collection, we know this stereograph is No. 33 in a group of 40 views. Mounted on beige board. A note on the reverse misidentifies the building as the gardner's house. The name 'Mrs. A. M. H. Hathaway 1878' is signed on the reverse.
6 15/16 in. x 3 7/16 in.