Old Fire Place in the Family Kitchen at Mt. Vernon., 1880
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- Johnson, N. G. (Newton G.) (Photographer, Person)
- Johnson, N. G. (Newton G.) (Publisher, Person)
- Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union (Copyright holder, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Stereoscopic view of the fireplace and dining tables in the Kitchen at Mount Vernon. Mounted on orange board. The photographer's imprint on the front of the card reads, N. G. Johnson, Photographer, No. 317 Penn. Ave., Washington D. C. Only Authorized Publisher of Mt. Vernon Views. A preprinted label affixed to the reverse reads, Old Fire Place in the Family Kitchen at Mt. Vernon, Showing the old Crane, and low, Dutch range, etc., which show that the demands upon the cook were not limited in Washington's time. N. G. Johnson, Photographer, 426 7th St., Washington, D. C. Stamped in faint blue ink - Copyright 1880 by the Mount Vernon Association.
6 15/16 in. x 3 7/16 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Kitchen Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Stereographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms