Skip to main content

The North Arch Gate, Mount Vernon, 1880

 Item — Box: HPC - Stereorgraphs - Box 2
Identifier: PG-91

Scope and Contents

From the Collection:

The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.

Dates

  • 1880

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.

Extent

From the Collection: 147 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)

Language of Materials

English

Related Materials

Stereograph same as St-3079 ; Image identifier - DA_003700

Physical Description

Stereoscopic view of the north lane gate with a portion of the spinning house visible at left and a man standing to the right of the frame. The 19th century ice house can be seen in the distnace. Mounted on orange board. The photographer's imprint on the stereograph mount reads, N. G. Johnson, Photographer, No. 317 Penn. Ave., Washington, D. C. Only Authorized Publisher of Mt. Vernon Views. The reverse of the stereograph has an adhered printed label - The North Arch Gate, Mount Vernon, Through which Washington brought his bride to Mount Vernon in 1759; and forty years afterwards his remains were carried through it down to the Old Tomb, with a Military escort. The gate was rebuilt by the contributions of four young children from Wisconsin by saving their pocket money for that purpose. Their names are in a frame on the gate. Copyright by the Mount Vernon Association. The date '[1880]' is written in red pencil on the reverse. Gift through V.R. for Mass., 1947.

Dimensions

6 15/16 in. x 3 7/16 in.

Repository Details

Part of the Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Repository

Contact:
P.O. Box 3600
Mount Vernon VA 22121 United States
703-799-3600