The North Arch Gate, 1878-1883
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- Creation: 1878-1883
- Johnson, N. G. (Newton G.) (Photographer, Person)
- Johnson, N. G. (Newton G.) (Publisher, Person)
- Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union (Copyright holder, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Stereoscopic view of the north lane gate with a portion of the spinning house visible at left and a man standing to the right of the frame. The 19th century ice house can be seen in the distance. Mounted on orange board. The photographer's imprint on the stereograph mount reads, N. G. Johnson, Photographer, No. 317 Pa. Ave., Washington, D. C. Only Authorized Publisher of Mt. Vernon Views. The reverse of the stereograph has an adhered printed label - The North Arch Gate, Through which Washington brought his bride to Mount Vernon in 1759; and forty years afterwards his remains were carried through it down to the Old Tomb, with a Military escort. Copyright by the Mount Vernon Association.
7 in. x 3 7/16 in.