Washington's Room, Mount Vernon Mansion., 1880
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- Johnson, N. G. (Newton G.) (Photographer, Person)
- Johnson, N. G. (Newton G.) (Publisher, Person)
- Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union (Copyright holder, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Stereoscopic view of Washington's Bedchamber. Mounted on orange board. The photographer's imprint on the front of the card reads, N. G. Johnson, Photographer, 309 9th St., Washington D. C. Only Authorized Publisher of Mount Vernon Views. A preprinted label affixed to the reverse reads, Washington's Room, Mount Vernon Mansion. Showing the Bedstead on which he died, December 14, 1799. N. G. Johnson, Photographer, 309 9th St., Washington, D. C. A blue ink stamp reads: Copyright 1880 by the Mount Vernon Association. An accompanying note indicates the stereograph is a gift of Robert Waldsmih, October 1979.
6 15/16 in. x 3 7/16 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Mansion Interiors Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Stereographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Washington Bedchamber Subject Source: Local sources
Part of the Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Repository
P.O. Box 3600
Mount Vernon VA 22121 United States