Col. H. H. Dodge & Mary Butler's police dog Bruce and typescript description of visit, May 20, 1934
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- May 20, 1934
- Lowther, Minnie Kendall, 1869-1947 (Photographer, Person)
- Lowther, Minnie Kendall, 1869-1947 (Author, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Photographic print of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association resident superintendent Harrison H. Dodge standing on the causeway at the Mount Vernon wharf. Next to Dodge is a German Shepherd named Bruce. A handwritten note on the reverse reads, 'Col. H. H. Dodge and Mary Butler's police dog, Bruce; taken at Mt. Vernon Wharf 1931 with Minnie Kendall Lowther's Kodak. For Mount Vernon.' Accompanying the photograph is a typescript account written by Minnie Kendall Lowther on May 20, 1934 arriving by boat on a Sunday afternoon. The photograph is referenced as a visual that a visitor, traveling by water, might encounter when arriving at Mount Vernon. In December 1933, the Association made the decision to offer Sunday hours. On May 20, 1934, the steamboat (closed during winter months) offered its first transport on a Sunday as narrated by the author.
Photograph: 2 3/4 in. x 4 1/2 in.