LaFayette's Room, Mt. Vernon Mansion [Blue Room]., 1880
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- Johnson, N. G. (Newton G.) (Photographer, Person)
- Johnson, N. G. (Newton G.) (Publisher, Person)
- Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union (Copyright holder, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Stereoscopic view of the blue room, formerly called Lafayette's room. View towards northwest corner includes part of the bedstead and fireplace. Mounted on orange board. The photographer's imprint on the stereograph mount reads, N. G. Johnson, Photographer, 309 9th St. Washington, D. C. Only Authorized Publisher of Mount Vernon Views. The reverse of the stereograph has an adhered printed label - LaFayette's Room, Mt. Vernon Mansion, so called in consequence of its having been occupied by General LaFayette when visiting Washington at Mt. Vernon. N. G. Johnson, Photographer, 426 7th St., Washington, D. C. Stamped in blue ink on the reverse - Copyright 1880 by the Mount Vernon Association. An accompanying note indicates the stereograph was given by Robert Waldsmith, October 1979.
6 15/16 in. x 3 7/16 in.