Untitled [Dining Room], c. 1870
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- c. 1870
- Jarvis, J. F. (John Fillis), 1849-1931 (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Stereoscopic view of the southeast corner of the dining room at Mount Vernon including the fireplace, c. 1870. Photographic print on stereocard. Mounted on yellow board. Printed text on front of the cardboard mount reads: J. F. Jarvis' Stereoscopic Views. 135 Pa. Ave. Washington, D. C. Note - on the reverse, the accession is mismarked as RP-6 and should read RP-7.
6 15/16 in. x 3 7/16 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Dining Room Subject Source: Local sources
- Mansion Interiors Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Stereographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms