Julian H. Washington, November 1932
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- November 1932
- From the Collection: Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Photographic print of Julian H. Washington, Clerk of the Office and later Financial Secretary for the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association employed from 1924 to 1940. Mr. Washington stands in front of the north facade of the Mansion. Photograph is mounted on a paper support. A handwritten caption below reads: Nov. 1932 Julian H. Washington - secretary - grandson of John Augustine Washington - last pvt. [private] owner of Mount Vernon.
Paper mount: 3 1/2 in. x 6 5/8 in. Photograph: 3 1/16 in. x 5 1/16 in.
- Employees Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mansion exterior Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Washington, Julian H., 1894-1953