Hallway in the Mansion., 1880
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- Johnson, N. G. (Newton G.) (Photographer, Person)
- Johnson, N. G. (Newton G.) (Publisher, Person)
- Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union (Copyright holder, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Stereoscopic view of the central passage looking towards the staircase and west entrance. Mounted on orange board. The publisher's imprint on the front of the stereograph mount reads: N. G. Johnson, Photographer, No. 317 Pa. Avenue, Washington, D. C. Only Authorized Publisher of Mt. Vernon Views. The label adhered on the reverse reads: Hallway in the Mansion. Giving a view of the old stairway, and the clock upon the stair; also showing the ponderous old brass knocker on the west door, so often handled by Washington's distinguished guests. Copyright by the Mount Vernon Association, 1880. A note penciled on the reverse reads, '...to the kindess of Mr. J. A. Har___?, Tuesday June 27th 1882.'
6 15/16 in. x 3 7/16 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Central Passage Subject Source: Local sources
- Mansion exterior Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Stereographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
Part of the Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Repository
P.O. Box 3600
Mount Vernon VA 22121 United States