Untitled [Little Parlor], 1880
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- Creation: 1880
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
From the Sub-Series: English
Stereoscopic view of the Little Parlor including the harpsichord and relic case. Mounted on orange board. The publisher's imprint on the front of the stereograph mount reads: N. G. Johnson, Photographer, 309 9th St., Washington, D. C. Only Authorized Publisher, of Mount Vernon Views. A note in ink on the reverse reads: East Parlor - or Ohio Room - Showing the Harpsichord presented to his adopted daughter Miss Nellie Custis when she was married [to] Col. Lewis- and flute used by Genl. Washington.
6 15/16 in. x 3 7/16 in.