Group at Mount Vernon, 1868-1869
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- From the Collection: Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
Copy photograph made from original loaned by Miss Julia Whiting, Middleburg, Virginia for the Mount Vernon archives. Based on notes from descendants - left to right: Miss Sarah Tracy (with hat in lap); Miss Mary Carter Dulany (later Mrs. Neville); possibly Susan Scott Herbert; Miss Frances Addison Carter Dulany (later Mrs. Lemmon) on horseback; and Colonel Upton Herbert. It is believed that William Herbert is standing behind the horse whic his named 'Ethel.' The original photograph is reported to have been made in 1868 or 1869.
10 in. x 8 in.
2 additional copies in the binder.
- East Lawn Subject Source: Local sources
- Employees Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Herbert, Upton
- Mansion exterior Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Piazza Subject Source: Local sources
- Tracy, Sarah, 1820-1896