Newspaper clipping, Amos Fisher, 1912
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- From the Collection: Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Clipped newspaper adhered to heavy paper. Caption: 'Amos Fisher, Who reshinged Mount Vernon mansion 1860-61. Lawrence called the place Mount Vernon in honor of his English friend, Lord Vernon, under whom he had served in the navy. Publisher unknown. A handwritten caption below the article reads: Mr. Fisher laid the first shingle when the Mansion was re-roofed in 1912. See portrait RP-1053 (retro) ; Photo-5503.
Article: 2 1/4 in. x 4 11/16 in. ; Mount: 4 in. x 5 7/8 in.
- Employees Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fisher, Amos
- Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union
Part of the Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Repository
P.O. Box 3600
Mount Vernon VA 22121 United States