Piazza of Washington's Mansion, Mount Vernon, East Front., April 1873
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- April 1873
- From the Collection: Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Stereoscopic view of the length of the piazza taken from the south end looking north. Several women are assembled near the central passage. Greenery adorns the pediment above the central doorway and is hung between the two columns directly adjacent to the entrance. The photograph is dated April 1873 and the unfinished restoration of the south porch is evident at the far left. A house bell can be seen on the exterior of the Mansion as well as the dove-of-peace weathervane just visible above the rooftop. Mounted on yellow board.
6 15/16 in. x 3 7/16 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Mansion exterior Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Piazza Subject Source: Local sources
- Stereographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
Part of the Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Repository
P.O. Box 3600
Mount Vernon VA 22121 United States