Washington Homestead at Mt. Vernon Va., October 16, 1872
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- October 16, 1872
- Bell & Bro. (Washington, D.C.) (Photographer, Organization)
- Bell & Bro. (Washington, D.C.) (Publisher, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Stereographic view of Knights Templar posing in front in front of the Mansion on the east lawn. The Knights visited Mount Vernon as part of their pilgrimage to Washington D. C. in October 1872. Mounted on peach board. Imprinted text on the reverse reads: Washington Homestead at Mt, Vernon Va. Photographed and published by Bell & Bro., No. 319 Penn Avenue, Washington, D. C. A note in ink reads: Purchased from Lloyd W. Keeper, N. Y. C. Dec. 1941 $1.00
6 15/16 in. x 3 7/16 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Freemasonry Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Mansion exterior Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Stereographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
Part of the Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Repository
P.O. Box 3600
Mount Vernon VA 22121 United States