The Washington Homestead at Mt,' Vernon. Va., 1860-1862
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- Bell & Bro. (Washington, D.C.) (Photographer, Organization)
- Bell & Bro. (Washington, D.C.) (Publisher, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Stereoscopic view of the east front of the Mansion, c. 1861. The balustrade along the piazza roof has been removed for repair and stacks of cut grass or hay are gathered on the east lawn. Mounted on peach board. Printed on the reverse of the card mount - The Washington Homestead at Mt,' Vernon. Va. Photographed and Published by Bell & Bro., No. 319 Penn; Avenue. Washington, D. C. A note written in ink reads: Purchased from W. Lloyd Keepers, N. Y. C. Dec. 1941 - $1.00"
6 15/16 in. x 3 7/16 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- East Lawn Subject Source: Local sources
- Mansion exterior Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Stereographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms