Conservatory at Mount Vernon., 1878-1883
Scope and Contents
Views of Mount Vernon spanning more than 100 years. The Robert Waldsmith Collection consists of approximately 315 stereographs and cabinet cards by Alexander Gardner, N. G. Johnson, Luke D. Dillon, and others. Highlights of the collection include: several west front views of the Mansion, including the earlist known one by Frederick Langenheim, circa 1856; an early view of the tomb, circa 1857, and a collection of Washington statues and buildings honoring the first President.
- Johnson, N. G. (Newton G.) (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 236 stereographs and 61 cabinet cards Photographic Prints
Language of Materials
Cabinet card of the conservatory in the upper garden. The structure was built around 1869 on the site of Washington's original greenhouse. The upper garden's brick exterior wall is in the foreground. A man is seated on the glass-paned roof. A small red lined border on the mount surrounds the photograph. The following is printed in red ink on the bottom edge of the mount: Conservatory at Mount Vernon. N. G. Johnson, Photographer, 426 Seventh Street, N. W., Washington, D. C. A penciled note on the reverse (in the hand of Robert Waldsmith), 'Annual Report 1979, M.V.L.A. Was my gift to M.V. This bldg. built in 1869 on old site. This view about 1880.'
Card mount: 6 9/16 in. x 4 3/16 in. Photograph: 5 1/4 in. x 3 1/2 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Cabinet photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Greenhouse Slave Quarters Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Upper Garden Subject Source: Local sources
Part of the Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Repository
P.O. Box 3600
Mount Vernon VA 22121 United States