Centennial Celebration of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association, October 24, 1953
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- October 24, 1953
- From the Collection: Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
10 Photographic Prints
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
Black and white photograph, members of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association form a reception line in the new room to welcome guests to their centennial celebration. From left to right: Charles C .Wall, Resident Superintendent (turned away from camera); John S. Battle, Governor of Virginia; Mrs. Harkness, Regent of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association; Mrs. Cabot, Vice Regent for Massachusetts; Mrs. Beirne, Vice Regent for Maryland; Guest (?); Mrs. Moore, Vice Regent for South Carolina; and Mrs. Platt, Vice Regent for Pennsylvania.
10 in. x 8 in.
- Battle, John Stewart, 1890-1972
- Beirne, Rosamond Randall, 1894-1969
- Cabot, Nancy Graves, 1889-1969
- Harkness, Hope Hodgman Powel, 1889-1974
- Mansion Interiors Subject Source: Local sources
- Moore, Susan Rutledge, 1906-1987
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union
- New Room Subject Source: Local sources
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Platt, Page Anderson, 1899-1984
- Wall, Charles Cecil, 1903-1995