Washington's Bed and Room Where He Died, (December 14, 1799,) Mount Vernon Mansion., 1884-1894
Scope and Contents
Views of Mount Vernon spanning more than 100 years. The Robert Waldsmith Collection consists of approximately 315 stereographs and cabinet cards by Alexander Gardner, N. G. Johnson, Luke D. Dillon, and others. Highlights of the collection include: several west front views of the Mansion, including the earlist known one by Frederick Langenheim, circa 1856; an early view of the tomb, circa 1857, and a collection of Washington statues and buildings honoring the first President.
- Dillon, Luke C., 1836-1904 (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 236 stereographs and 61 cabinet cards Photographic Prints
Language of Materials
Cabinet card of oval shaped view of Washington's room at Mount Vernon. The view includes the bed, windows (floor to ceiling), and furnishings. The following text is printed directly onto the reverse of the cardboard mount: Washington's Bed and Room Where He Died, (December 14, 1799,) Mount Vernon Mansion. Copyrighted by the Mount Vernon Ladies' Union Association. Luke C. Dillon, Authorized Photographer, Office at Pullman's Gallery, 935 Penna. Avenue, Washington City, D. C.
Card mount: 6 1/2 in. x 4 1/4 in. Photograph: 5 7/8 in. x 3 15/16 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Cabinet photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Mansion Interiors Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Washington Bedchamber Subject Source: Local sources
Part of the Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Repository
P.O. Box 3600
Mount Vernon VA 22121 United States