No. 107. - View on the Potomac River., 1859
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- London Stereoscopic Company (Publisher, Organization)
- England, William, 1830-1896 (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Colored stereograph of three figures near a white picket fence on the Mount Vernon estate with a view of the Potomac River through the wooded landscape. Photograph by William England, 1859, for London Stereoscopic Company as evidenced by the company's embossed stamp found on the lower left corner. The stereograph is No. 107 of a series of American views. The trio of models including the seated woman, white male and African-American man can be found in several other stereographs in the Mount Vernon collection also by England. Mounted on cream board. The reverse includes a brief description of the river from the 'Handbook of American Travel," and how George Washington enjoyed the view.
6 13/16 in. x 3 1/4 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- East Lawn Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Potomac River Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stereographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms