No. 107. - View on the Potomac River, U.S., 1859
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- London Stereoscopic Company (Publisher, Organization)
- England, William, 1830-1896 (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Stereograph of the view of the Potomac River from Mount Vernon. The two images are mounted on a cardboard support and include three individuals, two male and one female, sitting or standing near a white picket fence with a view of the river. Mounted on cream board. The stereograph is part of a series of "America in the Stereoscope" created by the London Stereoscopic Company, photographed by William England, 1859. The reverse of the stereograph includes a passage from the 'Handbook of American Travel' about the Potomac River and sentiments on its impact on George Washington.
6 3/4 in. x 3 5/16 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- East Lawn Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Potomac River Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stereographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms