Mount Vernon., 1858
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- American Stereoscopic Company (Publisher, Organization)
- Langenheim, Loyd & Co. (Publisher, Organization)
- Loyd, William (Person)
- Langenheim, Frederick, 1809-1879 (Person)
- Langenheim, William, 1807-1874 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Stereoscopic view of the east front of the Mount Vernon Mansion photographed from the northeast lawn. Mounted on cream board embossed with 'Langenheim.' The title 'Mount Vernon.' is printed in red text. A small label adhered to the reverse reads: American Stereoscopic Co., Langenheim, Loyd & Co., Philadelphia. Entered according to act of Congress, in the year 1858. A handwritten note reads: Purchased Oct. 1941 from W. Floyd K____, 575 Riverside Drive, N. Y. C. $1.00 - C. C. W. [Charles C. Wall]'
6 3/4 in. x 3 1/4 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Mansion exterior Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Stereographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms