Georgia Room., 1884-1894
Scope and Contents
Views of Mount Vernon spanning more than 100 years. The Robert Waldsmith Collection consists of approximately 300 stereographs and cabinet cards by Alexander Gardner, N. G. Johnson, Luke D. Dillon, and others. Highlights of the collection include: several west front views of the Mansion, including the earlist known one by Frederick Langenheim, circa 1856; an early view of the tomb, circa 1857, and a collection of Washington statues and buildings honoring the first President.
- Dillon, Luke C., 1836-1904 (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 236 stereographs and 61 cabinet cards Photographic Prints
Language of Materials
Cabinet card of the southwest corner of the downstairs chamber at Mount Vernon. The view includes the fireplace with screen and door to the back hallway as well as other room furnishings. The following text is printed directly onto the reverse of the cardboard mount: Georgia Room. Lady Washington's Sitting Room, Mount Vernon Mansion. Copyrighted by the Mount Vernon Ladies' Union Association. Luke C. Dillon, Authorized Photographer, Office at Pullman's Gallery, 935 Penna. Avenue, Washington City, D. C. (printed upside down)
Card mount: 6 1/2 in. x 4 1/4 in. Photograph: 5 15/16 in. x 3 3/4 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Cabinet photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Downstairs Chamber Subject Source: Local sources
- Mansion Interiors Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms