East Parlor, 1878-1883
Scope and Contents
Views of Mount Vernon spanning more than 100 years. The Robert Waldsmith Collection consists of approximately 315 stereographs and cabinet cards by Alexander Gardner, N. G. Johnson, Luke D. Dillon, and others. Highlights of the collection include: several west front views of the Mansion, including the earlist known one by Frederick Langenheim, circa 1856; an early view of the tomb, circa 1857, and a collection of Washington statues and buildings honoring the first President.
- Johnson, N. G. (Newton G.) (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 236 stereographs and 61 cabinet cards Photographic Prints
Language of Materials
Cabinet card of the northeast corner of the little parlor. The card mount has a gold border along the front edge. A printed label on yellow paper is affixed to the reverse of the cardboard mount and reads: East Parlor, Mount Vernon, Showing the Harpsichord, the wedding present of Washington to Miss Nellie Custis, his adopted daughter, when she married Col. Lewis; also the old Flute used by Washington. The room is now furnished by the State of Ohio, so as to appear as it was in Washington's time. Copyright by the Mount Vernon Association. Penciled note on label attributes photograph to 'Johnson.'
Card mount: 6 9/16 in. x 4 5/16 in. Photograph: 5 7/16 in. x 3 5/8 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Cabinet photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Little Parlor Subject Source: Local sources
- Mansion Interiors Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
Part of the Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Repository
P.O. Box 3600
Mount Vernon VA 22121 United States