Hallway in the Mansion, 1878-1883
Scope and Contents
Views of Mount Vernon spanning more than 100 years. The Robert Waldsmith Collection consists of approximately 315 stereographs and cabinet cards by Alexander Gardner, N. G. Johnson, Luke D. Dillon, and others. Highlights of the collection include: several west front views of the Mansion, including the earlist known one by Frederick Langenheim, circa 1856; an early view of the tomb, circa 1857, and a collection of Washington statues and buildings honoring the first President.
- Johnson, N. G. (Newton G.) (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 236 stereographs and 61 cabinet cards Photographic Prints
Language of Materials
Cabinet card of the central passage in the Mansion at Mount Vernon with an oval-shaped view of the stairway looking towards the west entrance. The card mount has a gold border along the edge. A yellow printed label is affixed to the reverse of the cardboard mount and reads: Hallway in the Mansion, Giving a view of the old stairway, and the clock upon the stair; also, showing , the ponderous old brass knocker on the west door, so often handled by Washington's distinguished guests. Copyright by the Mount Vernon Association. Several notes are penciled on the reverse, 'The central cross beam was replaced in - see Annual Report 1951 - p. 10.' Also notes 'Johnson' as photographer.
Card mount: 6 9/16 in. x 4 5/16 in. Photograph: 5 3/8 in. x 3 13/16 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Cabinet photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Central Passage Subject Source: Local sources
- Mansion Interiors Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
Part of the Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Repository
P.O. Box 3600
Mount Vernon VA 22121 United States