No. 64/70 The Capitol from East Capitol Square, Marble Statue of Washington in the Foreground.
Scope and Contents
Views of Mount Vernon spanning more than 100 years. The Robert Waldsmith Collection consists of approximately 315 stereographs and cabinet cards by Alexander Gardner, N. G. Johnson, Luke D. Dillon, and others. Highlights of the collection include: several west front views of the Mansion, including the earlist known one by Frederick Langenheim, circa 1856; an early view of the tomb, circa 1857, and a collection of Washington statues and buildings honoring the first President.
- E. & H.T. Anthony (Firm) (Photographer, Organization)
- Greenough, Horatio, 1805-1852 (Sculptor, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 236 stereographs and 61 cabinet cards Photographic Prints
Language of Materials
Stereoscopic view of East Capitol Square and pedestal with statue of George Washington by Horatio Greenough. Several men with scaffolding appear to be working on the sculpture. Mounted on yellow board. The stereograph is part of a series Views in Washington City, D. C. A label affixed to the back of the card mount reads: Views in Washington City, D. C. No. 64/70 (partial torn)..The Capitol from East Capitol Square, Marble Statue of Washington in the Foreground. Published by E. & H. T. Anthony & Co., Emporium of American and Foreign Stereoscopic Views, Chromos and Albums, 591 Broadway, opposite Metropolitan Hotel, New York.
6 11/16 in. x 3 1/4 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Stereographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- United States Capitol (Washington, D.C.) Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Washington (D.C.) Subject Source: Naf
- Washington, George, 1732-1799
Part of the Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Repository
P.O. Box 3600
Mount Vernon VA 22121 United States